By Tom Roberts
Print and web-based information sources for information about farmers’ markets and farmers’ market culture. And other farm-related publications of interest to small scale farmers.
- Orono Farmers’ Market 1996 Consumer Survey done by University analysts.
- The Best of Selling Outdoors, 2011 edition [pdf 1.6mB]. A compilation of the best articles from the MFFM farmers’ market newsletter Selling Outdoors that was published from 1991 to 1997. Since hard copies are out of print, this pdf version was created for downloading. The only changes from the original 2000 edition are an update of the list of websites and fixing of typos. Best viewed in your pdf viewer by setting View > Zoom > Fit Page.
- Farmers’ Markets Today An Ohio-based magazine about farmers’ markets.
- Growing For Market National monthly magazine published by a farmer in Kansas for direct market farmers. They have a good list of books at their online store.
- USDA’s Farmers’ Market Facts
- Maine Farmers’ Markets List maintained by the ME Dept. of Ag at GetReatMaine.com
- Maine Farmers’ Markets List maintained by MOFGA at MOFGA.net
- Open Air-Market Net , “the World Wide Guide to Farmers’ Markets, Street Markets, Flea Markets and Street Vendors”. A nice site with lots of links to markets and market resources.
- Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is a nonprofit planning, design and educational organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build stronger communities. Our pioneering Placemaking approach helps citizens transform their public spaces into vital places that highlight local assets, spur rejuvenation and serve common needs. One excellent article they host, among others, is What We Need to Learn from America’s Classic Markets .
- Establishing Land Use Protections for Farmers’ Markets The National Policy & Legal Analysis Network (NPLAN) has created a set of complementary model land use policies to help communities create more opportunities for farmers’ markets and ensure their long-term viability. From the NPlan.orgwebsite.
- NY Farmers’ Market Training Manual [5Mb pdf file]. An excellent comprehensive manual from the New York Farmers’ Markets for anyone interested in operating a farmers’ market. Only a small portion is specific to New York State.
- Maine-ly Agriculture A full-color version of the five-times a year agricultural newspaper published in Brownville. Contact publisher Wallace Sinclair for an electronic copy of each issue of the newspaper when issued, free. If you wish to get it in the postal mail, the subscription costs are $5 annually to help defray postage. Bundles of papers also available to farmers’ markets to use as free give-aways.